Meet Luke


We’ve been a bit busy the last four months.

I know. Everyone on your social media is probably graduating, getting engaged or married, or having babies. I’m just one of the many. You’ve got a lot of scrolling to do. So I’ll be brief.

For most people, a friend or family member’s baby means a gift or card, a post like or congratulatory comment, or (for those close by) maybe a photo op.

For those with the baby (or babies), it’s a total life change.

Luke is our first child, so he’s our gateway drug. (No, grandparents, don’t expect another one soon. Unless God wills it.)

So for those who haven’t had the chance yet, I’d like to introduce you to our son.

Luke had a rough first week of life, but lucky us, he knew no better and weathered it magnificently. He has my eyes and Walker’s brow, meaning we’ve been enjoying his entertaining expressions since day one.

Our son’s inquisitiveness has grown marvelously in a few short months (along with the strength of his eyesight), although he’s continuously perplexed by the weird, colorful recording boxes we constantly shove in his face. I can’t believe how much God has blessed us in him.

One of our favorite things to do is take him walking outside to discover new things and new people.

“He’s a cute baby. And I’m not usually a fan of babies,” a stranger told us one day at the botanical gardens. “But he’s a really cute one.”

He’s begun squealing when we sing to him, engaging in babbling conversations, and spreading his arms wide when we help him stand on our laps or on the floor. He’s not mastered rolling over, but he’s an expert at nomming anything he can grasp in his tiny hands.
Apart from his disjointed naps and his inexperienced parents pushing his limits, he’s one of the cheeriest babies I’ve ever known (and I’ve been around a few).

If anything, he is teaching us that growth and change is the way of this world God has made. Our new parenthood has cast a new light into every corner over our lives, and the joy is indescribable.

I’ve written several blog posts about these early months in stops and starts. Many are unfinished. Others ramble. My creative muse is still catching up on sleep. I have so much to learn and an overabundance of information and advice to process. For now, I am overjoyed simply to thank God for this little boy who has made me a mom.

And thanks to all of you who made the transition, despite its surprises, an absolutely wonderful one.