The Natural State of Life

Our short life in Arkansas will soon come to a close, and to be truthful, I dont know what to say about it. For weeks I have stared at a blank page, unable even to process the upcoming weeks. Arkansas has been my home for almost two years. I spent the first two years of my marriage here. I spent my first years away from home here. I made friends here and did things I never would have if I had not come. It is the place where I fully transitioned from youth to adult. 

Before I came here, I had never had a full time job. Before, I had thought of jobs simply as ways to make money. Now, I realize that pouring your heart, soul, and fifty or more hours of your week into a job means that it really has to matter--both to you and the people you work with. 

Before Arkansas, I didnt know what it was like to maintain friendships and family relationships over a distance. Most of my close friends and family had always been less than an hour away. Maintaining contact involves more than liking their posts and pictures on social media.

Before we came here, I had never lived with a husband. My roommates had only ever been girls: first my sister (love you Lyss!) then my college friends. Compared to my husband, girls seem...tidier, somehow. Living with my husband has been a string of lessons on communication, division of labor, and grace, grace, grace!

Before I moved here, I had never worked an hour away from home. In college, I worked on campus, a brisk eight-minute walk from my apartment. Driving from my rural town into the nearest metroplex to work five days a week came with a bundle of extra costs (in money and time) that I hadnt anticipated. I couldnt be involved in my husbands daily life, or even know half the people he spoke to or things he did at school, and neither could he know much about what I did. That was difficult.

Before Arkansas, I didnt know the first thing about supporting and maintaining a household. Crash courses on finances and budgeting didnt help my panic sessions whenever we had to buy stuff to, you know, live. Being largely supported by my family during my college career, some expenses came as a shock, and when income isnt flowing, I involuntarily tighten the strings on my spending. "Do I really need that haircut this month? Nah, Ill just shave my head."

All these little things culminated in an experience that I wouldnt trade for the world. Moving to a new place was intimidating, but ultimately I am incredibly glad that God brought me here. I met so many amazing people, learned more about myself, and discovered more about my Savior than I ever have before. 

Our years are cycles of growth and change. The end of one stage is coming to a close for us, but a new one is beginning. It wont be the same revolution, but as we begin again in a new place, we will meet new people, have new experiences, and face new challenges. Such is the Natural State of life.

Farewell.