Living the Dream

Something good happened to me this week. Scratch that...something great, something downright wonderful happened to me this week. I got promoted at my job. After only seven months, having this opportunity was the last thing I expected. The new position will provide for me an opportunity to work much closer with management and employ some skills I honed during my college days, give me the chance to get to know my coworkers in a more team-oriented setting and be a bit of a pay raise to boot.

That being said, with such an amazing thing happening in my life, I cant help but be utterly grateful. I dont deserve this promotion; I dont deserve any of the wonderful things God has given me. He has given me them not because I am somehow better than others who dont have these things, but because he wants me to be a vehicle for his glory through my individual blessings.

As a recent college graduate, I have seen others in my stage of life who are struggling to get jobs, feeling behind the curve in relationships, and overall feeling as if their life is not going at all how it is supposed to be going. When we graduated, we had goals and planssome of which have been delayed or denied in the months since we walked across the stage. For me, it has been adjusting to the concept that my dreams and my goals now must be tested for compatibility with my husbands dreams and goals. Moving to Arkansas was not my first choice. My dream was to go to work for a publishing company, preferably near my family and friends in Texas. Choosing to marry my husband was choosing his education over my career goalsat least for a time. And God has been faithful in bringing me through the transition.

This verse continually pops into my head when I am feeling selfish and discontent: The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps. Proverbs 16:9

Gods dream for me is full of more joy and suffering and happiness and pain than mine could ever be, but it is also far better. Wherever I go, I want to be in the center of that plan. If I follow Him, many things will be uncertain, but one thing will always be absolutely certain.

Wherever I am, Ill be living the dream.